The primary purpose of the People Advisor role is to coach line managers in the Information Technology & Services (IT&S) to create and maintain engaged, high performing teams and support them through the critical 'moments that matter'. This role also acts as the Asia Pacific HR point of contact for the IT&S Function.
The role holder will work closely with HR Business Partner/s both within and across segments where appropriate, HR Services and CoEs to ensure the co-ordinated delivery of high quality HR support to the business / function.
The role holder will manage relationships with key leaders for a business or function, monitoring internal 'weak signals' to pre-empt potential ER/IR risks and coach managers to inspire and drive development of their teams, through appropriate interventions.
The role holder will operate as an advisor and coach to line managers enabling them to lead in a way that is consistent with BP's V&Bs and Leadership Expectations.
The role holder is responsible for:
- the management of challenging people cases driving robust and fair process
- delivery of HR calendar activities such as performance and pay review and the bi-annual talent review process
- analysis of business metrics and data to provide insights
- support of HR Business Partners in delivery of segment/business/function people plans and projects
The role holder will also be the escalation point for HR Services for all exceptions to policy, responsible for facilitating a decision on all cases.
The role holder is not a standing member of a Leadership Team which has its own people plan and agenda. However, they will be partnering a business with significant scope, size, risk and complexity, coaching senior level leadership teams.
STRATEGY & PLANNING
- Execute projects and activities within the client group people plan to support delivery of business strategy
- Provide coaching and advice to line management which is aligned with the broader people plan and priorities
- Support organisation change in partnership with HRBP
- Deliver reliable, compliant and secure HR operations to the business
- Advise managers in making changes to their organisation or sensitive people decisions/activities, e.g. creation of a new position in organisation / managing a suspension, redeployment, dismissal, underperformance
- Ensure health, safety & duty of care for our people
- Stay up to date with the external legal context and monitor internal 'weak signals' to resolve or pre-empt ER/IR issues
- Manage individual severance / consultation processes and support HRBP in preparing large scale transformation programmes
- Support and coach managers in managing high performing, engaged teams
- Recommend individual pre-emptive action where ER risk arises in business
- Support managers in managing informal and formal ER cases. Drive robust and fair process.
- Support HR crisis and continuity management activity as required locally
- Deliver HR advisory support to facilitate resolution of everyday people queries
RIGHT PEOPLE, RIGHT PLACE, RIGHT TIME
- Attract, select and retain the right people from the internal and external market, leveraging our employer brand in a compelling way
- Consult with line on requirements for new jobs/controlled org changes before formal requests submitted
- Take part in assessment of candidates where appropriate (by exception only)
- Advise Line Managers about international assignments, ensuring proposals meet business priorities
- Coach home managers to support employees who are ending an international assignment and repatriating / changing roles
- Support local induction of new joiners to BP
- Support implementation of long term integrated talent management plans to ensure the right people are where they are needed.
- Support LMs in assessing talent and identifying critical roles
- Facilitate talent calibration, succession planning and action planning
- Make sure individual actions arising from talent review are completed and monitored and that talent development is happening year round
- Support and coach LMs in having effective talent and career conversations with their teams
ENVIRONMENTS WHERE PEOPLE & PERFORMANCE THRIVE
A. Enable all our people to build the capabilities our business values now and into the future
- Support HRBP in identifying learning priorities from Talent Review / talent forums
- Ensure client groups are taking advantage of learning and development resources available across the BP University and work closely with the COE specialists
- Support delivery of appropriate local LM development interventions, including coaching and formal programme delivery
B. Enable a compliant and high-performance culture through aligned Performance Management, Reward and Recognition frameworks
- Advise Line Managers on how to recognise, reward and motivate teams in alignment with business / people plan
- Advise Line Managers on how to hold quality reward conversations and on and off-cycle compensation changesC. Drive engagement with our people from their very first interaction with BP.
- Support completion of role evaluations for controlled organisation plans
- Manage Reward/Recognition specific projects as appropriate with Reward COE
C. Driving engagement with our people from their very first interaction with BP.
- Ensure an inclusive and diverse workplace which reflects the communities in which we operate
- Coach Line Managers to maintain and promote an environment of respect and dignity
- Support and coach Line Managers to be role models for diversity and inclusion, through the V&Bs and LEs
- Know the people in the business area, and ensuring awareness of the 'pulse' of the organisation
Degree qualified or equivalent experience/education
Essential experience and job requirements:
- Actively developing breadth across the HR technical areas (per Technical Edge) and depth in some areas. Able to provide advice and knows when to seek coaching and advice from senior colleagues.
- Numeracy & analytical thinking - able to quickly and effectively analyse system generated data to provide insights (talent, reward, performance) and assimilate data and information from a range of sources to inform business insights.
- Risk Management - able to manage less complex ER/IR cases responsibly, identifying, pre-empting and mitigating risk. Knows when to seek coaching and advice from senior colleagues/legal.
- Solution focus - seeks to identify solutions which will add value to client and/or enhance relationships and ways of working.
- Stakeholder management - Ability to build and maintain relationships with key business and HR stakeholders. Developing partnering, basic consultancy skills and a 'coach approach' to build trust. Is building and applying skills in active listening, influencing and communication.
- Business acumen & customer focus - keeps up to date with internal and external context, seeks to understand the relationship between their activity and the BP business strategy and drivers, and seeks to consider the commercial implications of HR decisions and actions. Aware that HR is an enabler of the business and seeks to ensure HR solutions lead to enhanced business effectiveness and results. Puts the customer/business at the heart of all recommendations.
Leadership & EQ Capability
- Group mind set - remembers to look beyond own team to consider the bigger picture and/or perspective of others. Successfully balances the needs of the client with local needs.
- Is continually enhancing self-awareness and actively seeks input from others on impact and effectiveness
- Applies judgment and common sense - able to use insight and good judgement